Thursday, February 14, 2008

Celebration of Love

Shall I be wishing you Happy Valentine’s Day? This blog is turning into a platform for me to greet you on every occasion :)

A snippet of news on radio caught my attention while driving to work this morning. It was reported that religious police in Saudi Arabia are enforcing a ban on Valentine’s Day gifts sale including red roses, causing black market prices for roses to rise. Valentine’s Day named after a Christian patron saint, apart from being un-Islamic, is considered to be encouraging relations between men and women outside wedlock. I’m sorry, but I couldn’t help laughing out loud upon hearing that.

What does Valentine’s Day mean to you? I am indeed ignorant for I have no idea who Saint Valentine was and can never remember the many legends behind the history of celebrating Valentine’s Day. Today, we all have to admit that the celebration is highly over-rated and commercialized. Prices soar on flowers and Valentine’s dinner everywhere just so businesses can take this opportunity to make more profits.

Every year nearing Feb 14, I always repeat to bf that I really don’t mind not receiving flowers on that day (and I really meant it). But every year, he never bothered listening. It’s not that I don’t like flowers. I love them! But on top of paying exorbitant prices for them, the flowers on Valentine’s Day are usually not as nice or fresh. And what is it with red roses?? I know, I know, red signifies love especially on this day, but I don’t like dark red roses. I love roses, just not dark red ones. Yes, I’m such a bitch for complaining but I much rather receive a bunch of unique fresh flowers, any type of flowers, with packaging that you know your florist has spent time and effort on if it was ordered on a different day and not one of the mass-produced bouquets on the same day.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the florist he has been going to all these years. Loved every bouquet I’ve ever received so far. For all my whining, my Valentine’s flowers I can tell you are by far, way nicer than most flowers I have seen other poor girls getting..

valentine's & brithday flowers
For comparison, some of the flowers I received over the years
Spot the red roses! Those were from Valentine’s Day


I have no idea if dearest bf has ordered a bouquet to be sent to me this year or if he finally heeds my words. If he did and it turns out to be another bunch of dark red roses, I will still appreciate it. Or even if I don’t receive anything at all, what really matters on this day is to spend it with your loved ones. Indeed it sounds cheesy, but hey, it’s a once a year celebration
– so Happy Valentine’s Day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my, my...you are indeed a very lucky girl. Though I never liked flowers, I must say that those bouquets are lovely. The one I like most is the bottom right pix.
simple, clean lines and uncomplicated...