Friday, February 20, 2009

Festivities Recap Part 2 - Valentine's Day

I love the month of February. It's the LOVE month! I know St. Valentine's Day is only celebrated in a day, but I usually start anticipating it come beginning of Feb and savour it for the rest of the month. Not that we do anything extra special on that day.. I don't believe in dining in romantic restaurants with their hugely over-priced Valentine's 'promotion'. I don't even need any of those expensive, massive bulk-packaged bouquet of flowers in the name of Valentine's Day.

I'm immensely happy as long as we spend the day together, of which we did over the many years. This year, being the first year of marriage that we celebrated V-Day, and in the circumstances that I find for the first time in my life I actually have time to myself without sacrificing my sleeping hours, I embarked on a little project. It's not anything major, but just a little surprise for hubby while not burning a hole in my pocket (not that I have any pockets to burn nowadays).

And so I spent hours after hours, day after day, cutting alphabets from old magazines (I don't get recent mags anymore) and little hearts from leftover angpows.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

That's right. The moment I took down the Chinese New Year's decor, I soon replaced them with Valentine's Day decor.

Photobucket
Glued each alphabet together ransom-note style. Each note has a different message..

Photobucket
There are over 80 little notes..

Photobucket
I'm sure you get the idea by now..

Cost nothing really.. those were leftover ribbons (from the invitation cards) and wooden pegs (from hanging the photos) from the wedding.

Photobucket
Remember these?

Apart from the clotheslines..

Photobucket

Photobucket
I have a heavy heart throwing the twigs that I used for the cherry blossoms, so have turned them into this little 'love tree'.. quite lovely I must say :)

Photobucket
And this little hanging mobile though not perfect, as it looks like a piece of work done by a 7-year old in art class, but I very much love it.

So what was hubby's reaction to the surprises when he got home? Oh well, a man being a man, he mustered some sort of genuine surprise look and took the trouble to read all the little messages.. and of course told me he loved it (after much coaxing from me to squeeze out some enthusiasm from him).

You see why I've been busy? Maybe it's somewhat childish, but it gives me a kind of self satisfaction, to be able to tell myself - I'll spend hours cutting love-shaped from paper and hang them any where I like if I so much want to!

Anyway, on Valentine's Day, as mentioned, we didn't do anything extra special but to catch a movie and roam in a shopping mall like we always do.. when I came upon this in a hardware shop and must buy it!

Photobucket
I fished out the pink and red ones only

Photobucket
And bend them into little heart shapes (Remember doing this in school??). I gave them to hubby, nephew & niece and am using one as bookmark to the book I'm currently reading.

RM1.60 to buy a moment of happiness in my life. Well worth it. Isn't life sweet when it's simple?

So what did you do on Valentine's Day? I hope you have had a wonderful weekend too.

Up next : Festivities Recap Part 3 - A Birthday Celebration

Update (March 02, 2009) : Valentine's decor is finally taken down :( but for now, I'm keeping the 'love tree' in the vase and the hanging mobile - it's relaxing to watch the movements with the slightest breeze and when it gently sways... *heart*

2 comments:

cheeky girl said...

It's not the money but it's the effort & thoughts u put into it...
creativity... i would love it, too... Happy belated V Day to both of u!! Hugs..

Anonymous said...

This is what LIFE should be ALL ABOUT!!!!!!!!!

ENVY! ENVY! ENVY!