Friday, October 5, 2007

A moment of reflection

No, this is not one of those school essays entitled 'My Father, My Hero'. But I’m in one of those melancholy mood of mine right now. So decided to put this up. Especially after a friend sent me an email on a disturbing children's book.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The story goes on from here and turned pretty scary. Anyway, my point is, my parents don't yell at home (although mum nags.. but daddy keeps his cool). So no traumatic childhood for me thankfully!

I came across an old photo of daddy carrying me in his strong arms the other day. Daddy was so young then, his hair was still thick and shining black. It was taken in a park. We used to have weekly family outing. Picnics at parks, dining at fast food restaurants and so on, even when we were marginally poor. Our lives were filled with love and happiness. We were contended playing happy family.

I don’t know what happened from then to now.

In between, daddy no longer tried to tickle me silly because I yelled at him and pulled long faces when he did. Daddy stopped showing up at my school concerts and sports games because I stopped inviting him. Daddy stopped staying up at night to wait up for me because I’ve been inconsiderate with my partying hours and his alertness declined with age.

In between, I grew up too fast.

I can’t rewind my life or turn back time. I cannot even bring myself to tell him that I LOVE HIM because we came from a traditional family that doesn’t display open affection. But I want him to know that I’ve grown up ok (ok, though not the best amongst his daughters) and how much I appreciate his unconditional love.

Daddy has been and still is the most loving and also the most patient man I know, for I rarely (close to never) seen him lost his temper or raise his voice. Clearly an unfair advantage over other men in my life over the years.

Well, don’t blame me for the comparison. It’s all documented in Freud’s theories.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now we know where you inherited your cool & collected self when things turn unbearable & when most of us would have already flipped!

Here's a consolation for you. Compared to alot of ppl out there, you are still considered a person with almost no temper.